Where: Student Success Center, Gateway 350, 3rd floor
What: The exam is given on a computer in the testing lab. The Tailwind exam includes two portions: English and Math. It is not a pass/fail type of exam. Your scores are part of your placement profile which allows us to place you in the most appropriate English and math classes for your skill level and major. Do not guess on answers for math or English. You are not penalized for wrong answers.
How long: The exam takes up to three (3) hours—1.5 hours per each section. We recommend a break between the two tests. You may want to take one test on one day and take the second on the next day.
Cost: $8.00 each (Math or English) or $16.00 for both.
Bring with you: Photo ID and a valid Social Security Number.
Do NOT bring: Electronic devices, watches, No handheld calculators, hats, hoodies, coats, food, or drink. These are not allowed in the testing lab.
What to expect: You will be provided with scratch paper, and a calculator is built into the exam.
Accommodations: Must be requested in advance.
For Math placement questions, please contact Claudia Stewart.
For English placement questions, please contact Jill Hughes.
Placement Testing Schedule
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, ~ 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Due to other testing and holiday breaks, please call in advance to check walk-in availibity
- Click here to see MARCH CALENDAR
- Thursday evenings 5:00pm: Appointment Only
- For appointment, call 307-268-2662
Can't make it to campus?
- Live Remote Online Proctoring Available, contact the Student Success Center at 307-268-2089 to get connected.
- Cost $75.95 ~ Contact Student Success Center for online proctoring information