Placement Procedures & Options
What is placement?
Students must demonstrate a certain level of proficiency in math and English to start coursework at the college level in these areas. Proficiency is most often demonstrated through standardized tests such as ACT and SAT but previous college coursework from a transfer institution and/0r institutional placement exams can also be used.
What determines where I am placed?
Casper College has two placement coordinators, one in math and one in English. Upon acceptance, these coordinators review any documents you have provided, with the goal of placing you in the highest course possible where success is likely. Documents reviewed to make placement decisions are:
- high school transcripts
- college transfer transcripts
- ACT/SAT scores
Do I have to take a placement exam?
Students who do not have any of the documents listed above will need to complete one of the placement options. In some cases, students will be asked to take the placement exam or do placement pathways in addition to the documents they have submitted. Reasons might include the following:
- ACT/SAT scores are more than one year old
- Transfer courses in math are more than one year old
- The student is close to testing into college level courses
- The student wishes to test in a higher level course
How will I know where I have been placed?
Students can login to MyCCinfo and check their placement status. Step by step guide to check placement status.
If you do not see any scores, contact our placement coordinators:
- Claudia Stewart, Math Placement Coordinator, email@example.com
- Jill Hughes, English Placement Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
What are my placement options?
Placement Pathways Using EdReady
Casper College wants to save you time and money by offering the no cost, individualized Casper College Math and English Placement Pathways for Summer and Fall 2020. This option is all online.
Placement Pathways is a free way to assess your skills with the option to build those skills until you reach your desired course level in math and/or English. This allows you to brush up in the specific areas you need, without taking an entire semester’s course to do it. You control whether or not to continue through course levels and can stop and enroll in whichever course you have worked through. It is completely free and accessible from your home.
How to complete CC Placement Pathways
- Go to Casper College EdReady and click “Get Started.”
- Sign up as a New User, check your email for a verification link, and get started!
- The Goal Key you should enter is sufa20.
- Add the goal: Placement Pathways
- Take the diagnostic for either one or both subjects. It will take about an hour for each. It is okay to not know how to do it all! Don’t answer the ones you don’t know.
- After completing the diagnostic, EdReady will produce a personalized study path to help with any knowledge gaps you may have. You can work the study path in order, or you can jump around to different topics, but keep working to move your score upwards.
- Work on your study path, and watch your score improve!
- Contact the placement coordinators for any questions:
- On average, students who work in their study paths 11-12 hours can achieve their goal.
- Use the resources in your study path rather than just taking post-tests.
- Get this done in a timely fashion so you can register for courses. Last minute may keep you from being able to register.
Casper College is currently doing placement exams on campus by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Call us at 307-268-2662 to schedule your appointment.
Location: Student Success Center, Gateway Center, 3rd floor
To schedule remote testing:
Call the Student Success Center by phone (268-2662) or email (email@example.com). We will need your name, phone number and email. This information will be given to the placement testing company (Tailwind) and they will contact you directly to schedule you and give you your next steps. The cost of this test is $55
If you need accommodations:
Accommodations must first be approved by the Disability Services Counselor. Necessary accommodations must be requested 5 days ahead of test date via Kortni Simonton, Recruitment & Retention Office Assistant (307-268-2662).
What to expect:
- The Tailwind exam is offered in English and/or Math
- 90 minutes is the maximum test time for each subject
- Your scores are part of your placement profile which allows us to place you in the most appropriate English and/or math classes for your skill level and major
- It is not a pass/fail type of exam and you are not penalized for wrong answers; do not guess
For Math placement questions, please contact Claudia Stewart.
For English placement questions, please contact Jill Hughes.
Casper College’s EdReady Tool offers you placement test preparation for math and English by creating a learning path specifically for YOU! Knowing where you have learning gaps gives you the power to prepare to be successful on a future placement inventory or in your next course.
Khan Academy is a free personalized learning resource for all ages