At Casper College, students earn associate degrees in four areas of theatrical study, preparing them to enter baccalaureate programs throughout the country with the confidence that only experience can give.
In addition to meeting the education needs of theatre and dance majors, our department provides cultural and artistic resources and opportunities to the broader Casper College community and fulfills the role of an intellectual and cultural leader for Central Wyoming.
Casper College is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST).
For requirements and more information about these program, view their listings in the course catalog:
- Explore performance through courses in acting, voice, movement, dance, auditioning, and dramatic literature.
- Choose a specialized track of intensive study in theatre and music, including courses in voice, acting, music theory, keyboarding, and musical theatre history.
- Channel your creative energy into design and construction of scenery, lighting, sound and costuming. Work with state of the art equipment on the main stage and black box theatres.
- Express yourself through ballet, modern, jazz and tap, while developing skills in composition, improvisation and history. Join the Flight Dance Troupe!
We also offer practical opportunities, the most important component in theatre and dance development. While at Casper College you will have many opportunities to be involved both on stage and back stage in plays, musicals, and dance concerts. Production opportunities serve as an extension of all classes as students develop acting skills, polish dance abilities, and construct and run all of the technical elements in each production. As a student, you will find that there is no better way to understand the classroom work than to apply it to real production situations.
The Department of Theatre and Dance is centered in the Gertrude Krampert Theatre Complex, a modern, well-equipped facility that was built in 1985 and was expanded in 2003. There are four spaces for students to learn their craft:
- The McMurry Main Stage: a thrust stage, surrounded by an audience of 400, all within 30 feet of the stage, which makes it one of the most "actor-friendly" stages you’ll ever experience.
- The Black Box: an experimental theatre providing a second theatre performance space for smaller productions of many types, from the avant-garde to classics, with a greater range of plays, performance events and subject matter than is possible on the McMurry stage as part of the main season.
- The Scifers Dance Performance Space: for dance productions prepared by the dance classes and the Flight Dance Company. The dance performance space is also a fully equipped studio space and is supported with a second studio space. Both studios have state-of-the-art dance floors.
- The Ken Ury Little Theatre: for student scenes and productions. This is a 50-seat space for a variety of types of small productions.
These spaces are equipped with the latest in technical equipment, with ETC computerized lighting control boards, intelligent light instrument, and digital sound. Costume students work in the renovated and expanded costume shop, constructing costumes from the body out. The focus of all these performance spaces is providing student opportunities.
Access our archived photos at http://caspercollege.photoshelter.com/galleries.
The Dance Major Student Handbook has the proposed changes submitted to the NASD Commission on Accreditation and the Casper College Curriculum Committee for the A.A. Degree in Dance. Until these changes have been approved the Dance Major will be under the A.A. Dance track in the 2014-2015 catalog. If you have questions, please see Jodi Youmans-Jones.
Sound Design & Audio Engineer Educator
Coordinator of Acting Degree Program
William Conte, Ph.D.
Theatre History & Literature Instructor
Theatre Instructor of Costume & Make-up Design
Theatre Instructor of Scenic Lighting/Design
Musical Theatre Program Coordinator
Instructor of Entertainment Technology
Dance Program Coordinator/ Choreographer