If you possess a solid work ethic, have good communications skills, and enjoy attention to detail, then you have the qualities essential for a successful career in accounting.
Growing businesses, changing financial regulations and increased scrutiny of company finances have led to a growing demand for accounting and auditing professionals.
The accounting program at Casper College provides you with the skills needed to meet current job requirements as well as the necessary analytics skills needed to be successful in business.
The Associate of Business (A.B.) degree for students planning to pursue a bachelor's degree in accounting.
The Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree curriculum combines entrepreneurial concepts and business knowledge needed by an individual who plans to set up an accounting/bookkeeping practice. This is a non-transfer degree.
The certificate coursework combines entrepreneurial concepts and business knowledge needed by an individual who plans to work for or set up an accounting/bookkeeping practice.
Degrees and certificates
The accounting A.A.S. and A.B. degree programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
For requirements and more information about these programs, view their listings in the course catalog:
There is a consistent demand for Accounting Professionals in a variety of positions because the accounting function is a primary and important part of any organization. Following is some information about different accounting positions, their requirements and responsibilities, and their compensation. This information reflects career opportunities in Casper and was gathered in the spring of 2016.
Many accountants choose to work in public accounting in order to acquire their CPA license and develop their skills in auditing, tax, business consulting and management. Some career opportunities in public accounting include:
Bookkeeper or entry-level tax preparer
- Compensation: $36,000 to $55,000
- Requirements and responsibilities: Associate degree preferred, with a 2.75 GPA if working while in college or a 3.5 GPA if not working while in college. Bookkeepers will need good communication skills and computer skills and will be working on payroll, bookkeeping, reconciliations and QuickBooks consulting.
- Compensation: $55,000 to $60,000
- Requirements and responsibilities: This is a position for those seeking their CPA license. To sit for the CPA exam you currently need 150 credit hours. Junior associates will be working in both tax and audit.
- Compensation: $60,000 to $65,000
- Requirements and responsibilities: At this level you will need two to four years of work experience and be able to handle more responsibility and complexity.
- Compensation: $75,000 to $85,000
- Requirements and responsibilities: At this level you will need five to eight years of work experience and you will be answering to the directors and shareholders while managing junior and senior associates.
- Compensation: $85,000 to $95,000
- Requirements and responsibilities: At this level you will need eight or more years of work experience and you will be answering to the shareholders and clients while directing subordinates.
- Compensation: $95,000 and above.
- Requirements and responsibilities: At this level you will need eight or more years of work experience as well as having excellent skills at recruiting and retaining quality clients and personnel.
In private accounting you are focused on the accounting function for your employer as opposed to doing audits and taxes for several clients. Some career opportunities in private accounting include:
Accounting clerk, entry level
- Compensation: $28,000 to $38,000
- Requirements and responsibilities: A high school degree is required and an associate degree is preferred. GPA requirements are 2.75 and above with some prior experience a plus. Duties will include accounts payable and accounts receivable, recording cash receipts and payments, data entry and basic accounting functions.
- Compensation: $40,000 to $50,000
- Requirements and responsibilities: A bachelor's degree in accounting or finance is required. Knowledge of accounting principles and computer skills is necessary. Duties will include overseeing accounts payable and accounts receivable and reviewing work completed by clerks.
Senior accountant/Assistant controller
- Compensation: $70,000 to $80,000
- Requirements and responsibilities: A bachelor's degree is required and certifications such as the CPA or CMA are a plus. At least three years of experience and technical accounting and computerized skills are a must, along with the willingness to learn, grow and be a team player.
- Compensation: $85,000 to $100,000
- Requirements and responsibilities: A bachelor's degree is required as well as certifications such as the CPA or CMA. At least five years of work experience will be required at this level. Tax experience and leadership ability will be needed at this level along with technical accounting and computer skills.
Chief financial officer
- Compensation: $125,000 to $200,000
- Requirements and responsibilities: In addition to the requirements of a controller, a CFO will need to be very familiar with regulatory requirements and also be a leader with integrity.
- American Accounting Association (AAA)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB)
- Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Institute of Management Accountants (IMA)
- National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA)
"Casper College was an excellent place to start my career. Through their committed instructors and alliance programs, I was able to stay in my home town of Casper and still get the education I needed to enter the public accounting field. The opportunites that the accounting department offers can and does open the doors to just about any field you can imagine. I was able to get my associates at Casper College as well as take the core classes I needed to transfer to the Franklin Unversity of Ohio Alliance program. With Franklin, I was able to complete the upper level classes I needed in order to meet the requirements required by the Wyoming State Board of Accountancy in order to sit for the CPA exam. Had it not been for opportunites that Casper College made available to me, including the experience of online courses, I likely would not be in the position I am in today." — Tabetha Berge