Casper College Forensics Team
Some people fear it more than death — the Talking T-Birds do it for fun!
Award-Winning Speech & Debate Team
Members of the Casper College Forensics Team compete in a variety of events sponsored by the American Forensics Association (AFA), Phi Rho Pi (PRP), and the National Parliamentary Debate Association (NPDA). Members of the team range from very experienced to those who have never competed in forensics. The team travels to approximately 4-5 tournaments per semester in the Rocky Mountain region (Montana, Wyoming, Colorado), culminating with competition at the Phi Rho Pi Community College National Tournament in April. The team also participates in competition at the International Forensics Association tournament. These tournaments have been held in locations such as Spain, the Czech Republic, Agentina, England, and Germany.
Students have the opportunity to compete in Limited Preparation events (Impromptu, Extemporaneous Speaking), Platform events (Persuasive Speaking, Informative Speaking, Communication Analysis, After Dinner Speaking), Interpretation events (Dramatic Interp, Prose Interp, Poetry Interp, Program Oral Interp, Dramatic Duo Interp), Lincoln-Douglas Debate, and Parliamentary Debate.
Become a Member of our Team
Who can join the forensics team?
Any Casper College Student, with twelve or more credits. No prior experience is required. Talk to the coaches about securing your spot on the team!
Why would I want to join the forensics team?
- Speech is an excellent way to develop interpersonal communication skills
- You will be able to meet many people from all over the United States
- Employers look for people who can demonstrate good communication skills
- You will be able to see many college campuses around our region
Are there scholarships available?
Yes! Fill out the scholarship application form.
Are there academic requirements to be on the team?
Team members are required to maintain a 2.5 GPA, with a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester, and enroll in CO/M 1060 for the first semester of participation (CO/M 2060 in the second year).
How do I join the forensics team?
Contact a coach.
Awards and National Competition Results
Gretchen Wheeler Season Sweepstakes Award
- 2018 – Carter Dunn – 207.5 pts
- 2019 – Carter Dunn – 141.5 pts
- 2020 – TBD
Gale Alexander Fellowship Award
- 2018 – Mary Schroer
- 2019 – Carter Dunn
- 2020 – TBD
2018 Phi Rho Pi Results – Daytona Beach, Florida
- Mary Schroer – Speech to Entertain (Bronze), Prose Interpretation (Bronze), Program Oral Interp (Bronze)
- Carter Dunn – Extemporaneous Speaking (Bronze), IPDA (Silver)
- Chloe Adkins – Extemporaneous Speaking (Gold), IPDA (Gold)
- Team: Overall (Bronze), Debate (Silver), Individual Events (Gold)
2019 Phi Rho Pi Results – Reno, Nevada
- Carter Dunn – IPDA (Gold), Extemporaneous Speaking (Gold), Impromptu Speaking (Gold), Informative Speaking (Bronze)
- Chloe Adkins – IPDA (Gold) Jae Fletcher – IPDA (Gold)
- Thayne Macy – IPDA (Bronze) Extemporaneous Speaking (Bronze)
- Izzy Garcia – Impromptu Speaking (Bronze)
- Team: Overall (Silver), Debate (Bronze), Individual Events (Silver)