About Institutional Assessment at Casper College
Assessment at Casper College refers to the efforts to obtain information about how and what students are learning. The emphasis is on a system of activities that help us to understand student learning processes and the organizational and cultural factors effecting student learning. Therefore, as a fundamental part of a student’s education at Casper College, graduates are expected to possess the following core abilities, commonly termed student learning outcomes.
Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective communication;
- Apply scientific methods;
- Solve problems using critical thinking and creativity;
- Demonstrate knowledge of diverse cultures and historical perspectives;
- Appraise creative and/or aesthetic activities;
- Use information to conduct research;
- Analyze the importance of personal, civic, and social responsibilities; and
- Use quantitative analytical skills to evaluate and process data.
The Institutional Assessment Process
Each semester, Casper College assesses two of the eight student learning outcomes mentioned above that ensures all outcomes are assessed every two years.
- Semester one: Outcomes 1 and 6
- Semester two: Outcomes 2 and 8
- Semester three: Outcomes 3 and 7
- Semester four: Outcomes 4 and 5
The assessment process also fulfills accreditation requirements of the Higher Learning Commission whereby the college:
- Develops a statement of the college’s goals or intended learning outcomes for all graduates of the college regardless of their degree program;
- Develops a plan for assessing general education goals or intended learning outcomes and using the results of assessment to improve student learning and inform the planning and budgeting process; and
- Ensures that all general education requirements for graduation are consistent for every degree program.
Assessment Resources for CC Instructors
The resources included here are to assist you with the schedule, form, other resources, and in submitting artifacts for the assessment of student learning outcomes.
Course Evaluation Schedule
- Summer 2019 — July 14-21
- Fall 2019 — Early Ending Course Evaluations — Sept 29-Oct. 6
- Fall 2019 — End of Term Course Evaluations — Nov. 24-Dec. 8
- Spring 2020 — Early Ending Course Evaluations — March 1-8
- Spring 2020 — End of Term Course Evaluations — April 26-May 10
Student Learning Outcomes Assessment Rubrics
- Outcome #1 VALUE Rubric
- Outcome #2 VALUE Rubric
- Outcome #3 VALUE Rubric
- Outcome #4 VALUE Rubric
- Outcome # 5 VALUE Rubric
- Outcome #6 VALUE Rubric
- Outcome # 7 VALUE Rubric
- Outcome # 8 VALUE Rubric
Training for Instructors
Casper College Survey of Student Engagement
Casper College conducts surveys of students to learn more about key areas of student engagement. Data from the surveys are used to highlight areas that educational research has shown to be important to students’ college experiences and educational outcomes.