What are the features and benefits of an online degree from CC?
- The opportunity for career/volunteer firefighters to earn their associate degree online, fitting coursework around their busy schedule.
- The knowledge students gain will help them throughout their careers, not only in the day-to-day work routine, but also through promotions.
- You will learn alongside a network of peers from fire departments throughout the region.
Students will learn about
- Fireground strategy and tactics.
- The five types of building construction and the dangers they present to firefighters.
- Fire investigation, and using the scientific method to come up with the correct conclusion.
- Fire prevention. Students will also be required to perform a “fire inspection” with a fire or building inspector in their area.
- Managing a fire department, including policies, budgeting, hiring, and discipline.
- Students also work on an internship project that will benefit their fire department. If possible, students complete “ride-alongs” with fire departments in their area.
About the online learning environment
Casper College uses a learning management system, called MyCCMoodle, for all its online courses. Course syllabus, calendar of activities, resources, assignments and quizzes, discussions, and grades can be accessed through MyCCMoodle. Learn more about getting started online.
How much time can I expect to spend on each fire science class?
The average time is 2-4 hours a week, per class.
Most classes are forum-based, meaning that the instructor asks a question about something related to a fire service issue. Students are asked research the answer, writing a response based on their experience with a fire department as well as what the textbook states.
The academic catalog mentions community service. Are there other options for online students?
As an online student, you can instead receive credits for past training, such as Firefighter I, Hazardous Material, Wildland Firefighting or EMT training. You will be required to show a certificate of completion.