Navigate Caper College's Website
This faculty handbook serves as a quick reference guide. It should supplement information provided to you during New Faculty Orientation, by the Mentoring Committee (your fellow faculty), your Academic Dean, your Department Chair or Program Director, your Academic Assistant and the Vice President for Academic Affairs. If you have questions or concerns regarding this material, please do not hesitate to contact any of us – we are here to support your work in the classroom.

This handbook was created with the help of academic assistants, administration, staff, and faculty in the various departments on campus.

For Institutional Policies, please refer to the Policy and Procedure Manual.

This is a brief overview of some of our academic procedures and practices. Your Academic Dean, your Department Chair and your Academic Assistant can provide more information – this should supplement the information they provide and help you become more acquainted with our institution.

Faculty Alliance
The Faculty Alliance is made up of all full-time or part-time benefited, contracted teaching faculty, or full-time personnel who are paid on the faculty salary schedule or issued faculty contract. All members of the Alliance are eligible to nominate, vote for and serve as members of the Faculty Senate (see item below). The executive committee for the Alliance is the officers of the Senate. The Alliance advocates to the administration on all academic policy matters and many institutional policy concerns. Voluntary dues, currently $20, are collected and used to support our Casper College Alliance (CCA) activities including the fall picnic, the holiday breakfast, and the retirement dinner. The CCA is made up of members from the three college alliances: faculty, staff and administration.

Faculty Senate
Casper College is firmly committed to the philosophy of shared governance. Our faculty members are encouraged to participate in this process through active involvement with the Faculty Alliance. Full-time faculty members at Casper College are automatically members of the Faculty Alliance (see item above) and our adjunct faculty is associate (non-voting) members. The Faculty Alliance meets three times a year – generally in August, January, and April. The Faculty Senate is composed of members of the Alliance. The Senate meets each month and works on behalf of all faculty and participates in the governance of the College though a committee structure. Faculty senate is composed of 17 members: three members elected from each academic school and one from Continuing Education and Educational Resources. Senators are elected to two-year terms.

Training and Development
Casper College is committed to providing professional development activities for faculty. These include tuition waivers for Casper College courses (eligible after six months of employment) and limited tuition reimbursements for graduate level coursework related to a degree program through the Board of Cooperative Educational Services – BOCES. Sabbaticals (eligible after six years of service) are available on a competitive basis under a variety of scenarios, including one semester at full pay, one year at half pay, or one year at half-time for full pay. On-campus in-service activities are available on a semi-routine basis and limited reimbursement of expenses related to travel for professional conferences and conventions through the Faculty Senate and your school are also possible. Contact your Dean or your Department Chair for more information. As you pursue further training and development, please keep in mind that there is a pre-approval form for all classes and workshops you would like to take and apply for future credit toward your development as a Casper College instructor. Please see the section on Educational Advancement for further details.

Educational Advancement
Full-time Faculty can earn educational advancement on the salary schedule by either completing pre-approved coursework or by attending pre-approved workshops, conferences, seminars, or in-service training sessions. Pre-approval forms are available on-line under Academic Affairs Forms and must be signed by you, your Department Head/Program Director and your Academic Dean prior to submittal to the Academic Affairs office. Make sure to obtain approval before the event or course. Once the actual activity is completed, documentation to that effect must be submitted to Academic Affairs by June 15th for consideration in the following academic year. Movement is typically limited to one column per year, which is equivalent to six graduate credits or 180 clock hours. Additional work can be “banked” for movement in subsequent years. There is one notable exception to the movement limits. Upon completion of a graduate degree, movement to either column 6 (Masters) or column 19 (Doctorate) will occur at the next contract period regardless of the number of columns involved.

Adjunct faculty will receive a step increase on the salary schedule for every 24 credit hours taught at Casper College. Placement will also be reviewed once an instructor receives a higher degree. Salary changes will occur at the next contract period once official transcripts are on file in the Academic Affairs office.

Facilities Usage
Casper College receives numerous requests for space usage from our campus, local, state and national communities. All requests for non-academic space (meetings, workshops, outside class events, clubs, unscheduled labs, etc.) must be made through the Facilities and Partnerships Coordinator’s office (2265). Requests for space are scheduled on a priority basis; please check for current priority booking deadlines. Consulting the college’s policy manual for more details.

All faculty members are expected to participate in the advising of students. Advising loads are variable and an attempt to make this task more equitable has been undertaken (#1400:30:02). Additionally, Academic Deans have the authority to modify the major requirements for graduation in consultation with Department Heads/Program Directors. It is important to remember that all students are expected to meet our general education requirements – waivers and substitutions are not permitted.

Faculty Absences
Every effort should be made to meet all of your scheduled classes. If for any reason you are unable to fulfill this obligation, please consult with your Academic Dean. Substitute arrangements can often be made ahead of time with one of your colleagues to prevent loss of instruction time owed to our students. Regardless, a Faculty Absence form should be filled out, signed, and forwarded to the Academic Affairs office. Faculty members are afforded professional leave, consulting leave, and sabbatical leave on a limited basis. (Forms Page)

Overload Compensation
Faculty members who choose to teach above their normal required load are eligible to receive “overload” compensation. Please check with your Academic Dean to determine your load status. Payments for overload situations will occur at the end of January for the fall semester and at the end of May for the spring semester. Payments are based on the type of work done (lecture, lab, or non-teaching) and your individual placement on the salary schedule. Details regarding these calculations are available in the Casper College policy manual (#1400:12:01). Academic Affairs can also supply compensation quotes to you upon your request.

Departmental Reviews
The faculty members of each academic department are asked to participate in an annual departmental review process. These reviews provide valuable information and unique perspectives that can then be utilized at all levels. The department review is a critical component of the planning, assessment, and budgetary cycles.

Casper College uses an integrated student management system called “WebAdvisor” by Datatel. A WebAdvisor account will be established for you once Human Resources receives you hiring paperwork. You can access your account (from any computer with web access) for class roster information, for grade entry (midterm and final), and for any student information you may need. The Casper College “Faculty and Staff” page has the “WebAdvisor” link included as part of the listing of available services. You will use your email username and password to access WebAdvisor.

Class Rosters
Class rosters are available through the Casper College WebAdvisor data management system. If students are attending but are not listed on the roster, advise them to go to the Enrollment Services office immediately to correct the problem.

Cancellation of Courses
The determination to cancel a credit course due to low enrollment will be made on a course-by-course basis. Although most cancellations occur before the start of the semester, there are occasions where cancellations occur during the first week of the semester. The Vice President for Academic Affairs will consult with the appropriate Academic Dean prior to any such cancellations. Also, if you feel a course should be cancelled, please consult with your Academic Dean. Although you do not have the authority to cancel a course, your Academic Dean does. When a course is cancelled at the last minute, your Academic Assistant will be asked to post signs on doors to help notify our students of the cancellation and will work with you to contact students so that they will have the opportunity to enroll in other courses in order to maintain their needed course load.

Independent Studies
On occasion, students may approach faculty to mentor them in the pursuit of coursework beyond what is offered in a traditional course or within the current semester schedule. If a faculty member agrees to teach the class/co-op as an independent study, a proposal should be written by the student and negotiated with the instructor to mutual satisfaction within two (2) weeks of the beginning of classes (one (1) week for summer). A completed independent study form serves as a contract between the faculty member and the student. The contract, along with supporting documentation (i.e., syllabus), is signed by the faculty member, the student and the Academic Dean. A copy of all documentation is then given to the student for her/his records and a second copy is sent to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. It is the responsibility of the faculty member to contact the registrar and have the intended course added to WebAdvisor in order for the student to register for the independent study/co-op. Credits for the course are included in the student's current semester load. Students will not receive credit, even though they do the work, if they do not register for the class. It is wise to check your WebAdvisor class roster to assure that the student has registered. In most cases the student must complete independent studies within the requisite period not to extend beyond the end of the current semester. (Forms Page)

Wait Lists
Registration for classes starts during an early registration period several weeks before the semester begins. When a particular class is filled, the Enrollment Services office will start a wait list. The names on the list are kept in the order they are received; this gives the Academic Dean and Vice President the opportunity to add sections or increase the class capacity. The waitlist is monitored daily and when an opening occurs, the Admissions and Student Records office enroll the student into the class and notifies students they have been added to classes. Approximately 2 to 4 weeks before the classes start or before final registration, the waitlists are deleted and the students are notified they will not get into that class from the waitlist. At that point, students may ask the instructor for permission to enroll in a closed class. The final decision on enrollment for these students is up to the instructor for the course. If you agree to let an additional student into your class, you will have to sign off on add/drop form.

Class Attendance
Excessive absences or tardiness may result in a lowered grade; and, at the discretion of the college administration, a student who fails to attend regularly may be asked to withdraw from college.
Each instructor keeps a record of absences. When an instructor believes that absences are affecting a student's work, the instructor can notify the Student Success Specialist by submitting a Retention Alert (RA). The RA is a link on the top of the class roster next to the Grade Change Report.

Grade Books/Paper or Electronic
If you would like a paper grade book, your Academic Assistant can provide one to you. You also have the option of setting up an electronic grade book if you would prefer. Please keep a record of both grades and attendance for all your students. Instructors for at least one calendar year should retain grade books containing records of how student grades were computed after the completion of a course. Adjuncts, retirees and faculty leaving Casper College for other employment should leave their grade books with their Academic Dean.

Traveling with Students
Field trips should always be cleared in advance of the scheduled trip. A complete itinerary must be filed with the Academic Dean and the Student Services office at least one week prior to departure. A list of students and faculty in attendance must accompany the itinerary. A travel release must be on file for each student participating in the trip. When taking students off campus and using a college vehicle, make sure you read the guidelines for requesting a vehicle. You will then need to contact your Academic Assistant to send in the transportation request through Trip Request on MySchoolBuilding. If you request a college vehicle and one is not available, you may provide your own transportation and be reimbursed. If you decide to take your own vehicle to a college-related activity even though one is available from the institution, you will be reimbursed at a lower rate for attending that event only. It is important to remember that when traveling, receipts must be provided to the finance office when requesting reimbursement and it will take three to five business days for your reimbursement request to be processed. The college mileage rates will change to realign with the IRS standard mileage rate at the beginning of each fiscal year.

You will be notified periodically of students who withdraw from class before the published withdrawal date. After that date, students may withdraw from a course with instructor permission only. Because of this, all instructors are asked to publish their withdrawal policy on the syllabus for each course they teach. The college administration will strictly follow these published guidelines when discussing potential withdrawals with students.

Faculty-Initiated Withdrawals
A student is not automatically withdrawn from class due to non-attendance. Instructors wishing to withdraw a non-attending student may do so anytime after the fourth week of class and before the official college withdrawal date.

A grade of “incomplete” may be used when the student, for reasons beyond the student’s control, is unable to finish the work of the course provided the student would otherwise have had a passing grade. A student who has received an incomplete must arrange with the instructor for completion. The course must be completed by a date mutually agreed on by the instructor and the student, and the final grade submitted no later than the end of the succeeding full semester (summer term excluded) unless an extension of time has been approved. Failure to meet these obligations will result in the “I” grade being administratively changed to a grade of “F”.

Audit Status
A student who wishes to enroll in a course only for informational purposes may audit the course. The
auditing privilege carries full rights of class participation, but it offers no academic credit and no grade. Auditors are expected to attend class regularly. If the student satisfactorily completes the audit requirements you establish, an "audit'' notation is entered on the student's permanent record. If the student does not satisfactorily complete those requirements, a "W'' may be recorded. Full tuition is charged for an audit. A change from credit to audit in any course may be made at any time up to the deadline for withdrawal from that course with official permission from you. Students wishing to change from audit to credit in any course must have your written permission. You may request an administrative withdrawal of auditors for prolonged and unreasonable absenteeism.

Grade Changes
No grades or classes will be deleted from a student’s transcript. However, the instructor who awarded a grade may change it at any time up to one year after it was recorded. These changes can be accomplished through the Casper College WebAdvisor data management system by choosing the “Submit a Grade Change” option. In most cases, no one other than the instructor who awarded it may change a grade. If there are extenuating circumstances involving a grade that was filed more than one year ago, it may be changed ONLY with the approval of the Department Chair/Program Director, the Academic Dean and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

A syllabus must be provided to each class member at the beginning of your courses – it is essentially a contract between you and the student. A clear, comprehensive syllabus is your first line of defense in cases of student grievances. Because of this, Casper College has adopted a required syllabus format that which is available online. In addition to providing copies to your students, an electronic copy must also be given to your Academic Assistant by the end of the first week of classes. Your Academic Assistant will then post the syllabi to the website.

Academic Affairs Forms
From time to time, faculty members will need to complete a form either to note an absence from the campus or to obtain funds for an educational conference. Copies of those documents can be found on the College’s website under Forms. Some of the more common forms include: Curriculum Proposal/Change Form, Course Syllabus Template, Educational Resources Form, Faculty Absence Request Form, Faculty Development Application Form, Faculty Educational Pre-Approval Request, Faculty Load Data Form, Independent Study Proposal/Co-op Proposal and Travel Course Application. (Forms Page)


Many services are available to you and your students on our campus. This is not meant to be a comprehensive listing – there are many people at Casper College committed to student success.

Behavioral Intervention Team, Extension 2688 (emergency) and Extension 2201 (non-emergency)
The Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) at Casper College addresses student behavioral concerns that are not consistent with the College's mission. The team serves as the centralized coordinating body for reports, discussion and action regarding students exhibiting behaviors of concern. Faculty members are encouraged to contact the team when encountering threats, aberrant or strange behavior, violent or perceived violent behavior, threats of suicide or violence against others, etc. The BIT also makes recommendations as to whether the best option is for the student to continue at Casper College. The BIT does not preempt any other Casper College department in performing its duties in enforcing policies, practices or managing student situations. In addition, it is the responsibility of the BIT to develop, review, and recommend College policies that address such situations and behavior.

Bookstore, Extension 2202
As a faculty member, you are entitled to special discounts at the bookstore located in the Strausner Student Center. Either your Academic Dean or your Academic Assistant will provide instructions on how and when to place orders for texts to be used for classes. Desk copies are typically provided by the publishing company.

Campus Mail, Extension 2609
All instructors will be assigned a campus mailbox. Each building also has a mail drop off and pick up – please check with your Academic Assistant for the nearest location. All off-campus mail should include your department code; the mailroom can assist you in mailing personal letters and packages. Your Academic Assistant can provide details on protocol for mass mailings.

Career Services, Extension 2662
The Career Services, located on the 3rd floor of the Gateway Building, assists students and alumni in gaining life-long skills related to career choice and development. It also connects businesses to appropriate departments within the institution and to qualified candidates for employment. Consult your Dean/Dept. Head regarding availability of funds to employ a work-study student. You need to contact the director of Career Services, at 2446 and fill out the necessary forms before you are able to hire someone.

Center for Excellence, Extension 2639
The Center for Excellence is the college's professional and organizational development center. The center is open to everyone at the college as a training or meeting facility in an effort to support the college's mission. It offers both professional and personal learning opportunities for all faculty, administrators and staff and assists the Human Resource department in the delivery of initial and ongoing training related to the policies and procedures at the college. Faculty are encouraged to use the center as a resource for expanding their professional abilities, sharing knowledge, and best practices with each other.

Center for Learning through Service (contact Director)
The mission of the Center for Learning through Service (CLS) is to enrich Casper College student learning and address community-needs through student civic engagement. To that end, the CLS is committed to developing and integrating a campus wide pedagogy that uses service to enhance critical and reflective thinking, as well as personal and civic responsibility. Available services include but are not limited to, curriculum/course development, assistance in the coordination of service assignments/activities, and community partner networking.

Copy Center, Extension 2594 (
The Copy Center will duplicate any reasonable amount of printed material for your classes. Your Academic Assistant will establish a schedule for use of services. Please allow the Copy Center at least 24-48 hours to fulfill requests. Additionally, your department code must appear on all copy center requisition slips. If the work is sent electronically, please include the department code, the number of originals, the number of copies needed, along with added requests (collated and stapled, 3-hole punched or front-to-back). Please note that copyright laws will be strictly enforced.

Counseling Staff, Extension 2267
Students frequently approach instructors for academic or personal counseling. The college has a staff of professional counselors who can deal with problems a student might be encountering. Do not hesitate to refer students with difficult problems to the counselors in the Student Union /University of Wyoming at CC (UU 202). They are available 8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday and by special appointment on Wednesday evenings (Fall and Spring semesters. Additionally, their summer hours are Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Disability Services, Extension 2557
Casper College follows the American with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act in providing services and accommodations to students with disabilities. While it is the college's responsibility to notify students of services and how to access those services, it is the student's responsibility to self-identify and request accommodations. Please refer student inquiries directly to Disability Services. Appropriate accommodations are then determined on an individual basis according to required documentation of a disability. Approved classroom accommodations could include the use of sign language interpreters, note takers, readers, alternate seating arrangements, alternate testing arrangements, support from Occupational Therapy Assistance Program, Closed Captioning, Video Remote Interpreting, Braille materials, assistive listening equipment, Digital Voice Recorders, spell checkers, or laptop computers. The extent of the required accommodations will be determined by Disability Services.

Digital Learning, Extension 3648
Digital learning courses provide students with the opportunity to take many of the same classes offered on campus but in a different format. Digital learning courses have textbooks, assignments, exams, student-centered interaction, and, other features that encourage success. Classes may have face-to-face contact and students may have to go to campus for some activities. Communication with the instructor and classmates is usually via email or online discussion forums. Some courses use real-time two-way audio/video and application sharing software.

Early Childhood Leaning Center, Extension 2586
The Inga Thorson Early Childhood Learning Center is accredited by the National Association of the Education of Young Children. It serves a dual role on campus as a teaching laboratory for the Early Childhood program and a childcare center for the young children (birth to kindergarten) of our students and employees. Openings are available on an extremely limited basis.

Grants Office, Extension 2488
The Grants Office provides Casper College faculty with high-quality services including researching of grant opportunities and matching of project to prospective grantors. The office will also provide assistance with proposal development and preparation and guidance on reporting and evaluation. It is important that all grant applications flow through the Grants Office to assure coordination with other entities on campus and in the community.

Health Services, Extension 2263
Located in the CC Student Union and UW @ Casper building, Room 202. Student Health Services assists both students and employees for free or at a reduced cost. Physical examinations, immunizations, routine testing, over-the-counter medicines, crutches, and wheel chairs are available. Other services include strep throat testing, TB testing, pregnancy testing, blood pressure monitoring and health-fair lab work. The health center also provides coordination of care with community resources for more extensive medical concerns. Specialty Clinics (focusing on pap tests, pelvic exams, contraception, and pregnancy) and Physician Clinics (offering illness and injury treatment, referrals, and access to prescription medication) are provided on a weekly basis. Please keep in mind that services are not provided on evenings, weekends or during the summer.

Honors Program (contact Honors Director)
The Casper College Honors Program offers qualifying students the opportunity to join their peers in a challenging program tailored to meet their intelligence and strong motivation. The curriculum includes four interdisciplinary seminars featuring timely and relevant topics such as “Biomedical and Environmental Ethics,” “Comparative Philosophical Traditions,” and “Quest for American Identity.” These seminars will satisfy many of the college general education requirements, thus reducing extra coursework. Field trips to cultural events and conferences will take your learning outside the classroom. Faculty interested in teaching an honors class should contact the Honors Director.

Information Technology, Extension 3648
Information Technology is responsible for the installation of all computer software and hardware on campus. They also maintain our network system and our computer labs in addition to providing training and technical assistance to our students, faculty, and staff. When it comes to your e-mail account, it is important to check with the IT help desk for your login and password. Please work with your Academic Assistant or your Academic Dean if you have questions or concerns regarding computer-related issues.

International Education (contact Director)
Casper College’s International Education program works to internationalize the curriculum, globalize courses and promote intercultural understanding and respect. This is accomplished by providing opportunities for college faculty, professional staff and students to study, work, conduct research and volunteer abroad. In addition, international activities are also periodically held on the campus. The Casper College International Education website contains study abroad advice and forms for faculty and students, as well as past issues of the monthly International Education Opportunity Newsletter.

Learning Communities (contact Director)
Each semester, various faculty members at Casper College partner to offer courses that are linked or clustered over the course of a semester, often with a focus on a common theme across different disciplines of study. These courses promote active and collaborative learning for the students along with greater understanding of curricular coherence, cross-disciplinary issues and diverse perspectives. Faculty members who teach these classes enjoy the opportunity to work with and learn from faculty from another discipline while enhancing intellectual interaction between students and the faculty members. Faculty interested in developing a learning community or accessing other faculty members interested in this program should contact the Learning Communities Director.

Library, Extension 2269
The Goodstein Foundation Library houses a physical collection of over 100,000 volumes on two floors. As part of the state-wide (Wyldcat) and national (OCLC) library consortiums, the library has access to many more titles through interlibrary loan (ILL).
Faculty have on-campus and remote access to several hundred online databases including full text journals; e-books; images; films; foreign language tutorials; music and more.
Library instruction on effective research and information literacy are available for faculty to schedule for specific courses. (Please allow at least a week’s lead time when scheduling.)
Faculty may place materials on reserve (including E-reserves) for their students. Requests from faculty for library materials to support classes are encouraged.
In addition the library offers reference and research assistance, ILL, individual and group study rooms, wireless access, computer lab, scanner, color printing, coin-operated photocopier, and beverage and snack vending machines.
Further information about the library including current hours, library contacts, Ask a Librarian, research guides, and distance education services are all located on the library web page.

Math Learning Center, Extension 2865
The Math Learning Center, located in the Wold Physical Science Center, provides math tutoring for students in any course on a drop-in basis. In addition to one-on-one tutoring, current texts and solutions manuals are available for use on a limited basis and calculators can be rented for the semester. Videos and CDs that accompany some of the math texts are available for check out, and many resource texts and other materials are available for use. Computers with access to current math programs and the internet are provided for student use. The hours of operation during the academic year are:
Spring and Fall Semesters Monday to Friday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Monday to Thursday 5 to 7 p.m.
Saturdays 9 a.m. to noon
Summer Semester Monday to Friday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Media Services, Extension 2555
Presentation equipment is available for classroom use on campus. Arrangements should be made at least 48 hours in advance. Your Academic Assistant can help you with these arrangements. Personnel to operate the equipment are not furnished; however, instruction on how to operate the equipment will be provided on request. Maintenance and repair are responsibility of Media Services. Consultation and implementation of new classroom presentation equipment is also provided. Duplication service is available provided copyright permission is acquired in writing by the faculty. Telecourse broadcasts, satellite downlinks, videoconferencing and classes delivered by video are facilitated by Media Services.

Security, Extension 2688
Faculty can contact Campus Security by calling (307) 268-2688 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays, if they require assistance.
Among the issues that Campus Security can help you resolve are;

  • Access to offices or classrooms if you have forgotten your keys or locked them inside (NOTE: please have your College ID with you to show the Security Officer as they may not be familiar with you personally.
  • Vehicle issues including keys locked in vehicle or jump starts
  • If you observe someone engaging in suspicious or criminal behavior or someone in need of medical attention (NOTE: In the case of serious issues such as crimes of violence, fires or life-threatening medical emergencies, call 911 first, then call Campus Security).
  • Disruptive behavior in the classroom amounting to more than classroom management issues. Intoxicated or otherwise impaired persons should also be reported.
  • Lost or stolen institutional or personal property, or the recovery of property belonging to another, or damage to institutional property. Accidents with College fleet vehicles, whether on or off campus, should also be reported to Campus Security.
  • Injury to any person on campus, including the faculty member.

All faculty members should be aware that they have certain obligations to report criminal activity and other misconduct of which they become aware, even if it occurs off-campus. Things that must be reported:

  • Criminal Activity that must be reported under the Jeanne Clery Act. Such crimes include murder, non-negligent manslaughter, negligent manslaughter, forcible sexual assault, non-forcible sexual assault, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft and arson. Additionally, any of these crimes which were committed against the victim due to his/her race, ethnicity, gender, disability or sexual orientation ("hate crimes"), as well as hate crimes that involve Larceny-Theft, Simple Assault, Intimidation or Vandalism/Destruction of property. Finally, incidents involving violations of law or policy concerning the possession of Liquor, Drugs or Weapons must be reported.
  • Any sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, domestic violence or dating violence of which the faculty member becomes aware, whether it occurred on campus or not, must be reported immediately to either Campus Security or the Title IX officer. The Vice President of Student Services and the Director of Human Resources are the College's Title IX officers. Even if the student does not want to make an official report the faculty member must make the Title IX officer aware of the disclosure of the incident to him/her.
  • Any instance of hazing, whether it occurs on campus or elsewhere must be immediately reported to the Director of Campus Security and the Vice President for Student Services. NOTE: hazing is not a phenomenon restricted to fraternities and sororities. Any student group including but not limited to athletic teams, academic teams, social clubs, religious organizations or other special interest groups is subject to this behavior. Any faculty member serving as advisor or coach to any student group is especially cautioned to be alert to this behavior.

Theater Ticket Sales, Extension 2500
The Casper College Theatre and Dance Department offers several productions throughout the year. Full-time faculty and staff are eligible to receive two complimentary tickets, with some restrictions, for each play performed during the regular academic year. Part-time faculty receives a discount on ticket purchases.

Tutoring Services: Online, Extension 3882
Students who need tutoring related to a class or a specific subject can access Smarthinking through the Moodle4Me site at Casper College. The college-provided service provides extended hours and weekend access to eTutors in Math (available 24/7), English, Biology, Accounting, Finance, Statistics, Anatomy and Physiology, Microsoft Office, etc. Paper reviews and submitted questions require 24 to 48 hours of turnaround time. Students and faculty members may learn more about the service using the college’s website or contacting someone at Distance Education Center. Go to: for some tutoring examples. Tech Support is available by calling Smarthinking’s toll-free customer service line at 1-888-430-7429, extension 1. The line is open Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. (MST) or 24/7 via email at

World Language Lab
The World Languages Lab is located in Liesinger Hall, Room 291. This modern lab supports the World Languages Department, and it is equipped with computers for use in listening to audio files to complete homework, workbook, and lab manual exercises. Additionally, students have the ability to record oral activities, which are submitted to their instructor. They also may watch assigned video clips that accompany the textbook and then complete assignments based on the video. Rosetta Stone programs in German, French, and Spanish are loaded on three computers, which students and members of the community may use. The World Languages Department also offers world language satellite TV programming in the lounge area adjacent to the lab. Additionally, there are connections available in several classrooms for instructional and educational purposes. Over 50 channels are available, featuring programming in French, German, Russian, Spanish and Japanese. The department also sponsors The World Languages Cafe in LH 289 where international students, German Club, French Club, and Spanish Club meet.

Writing Center, Extension 2610
The Writing Center is located in the Strausner Student Center, Room 139, and is a free resource for students, faculty, and staff of Casper College and the University of Wyoming / Casper College Center, as well as the residents of the Casper community. Trained peer assistants work with writers and their coursework needs, regardless of discipline, as well as writers with personal projects such as resumes and scholarship, cover, and program application letters. Tutors use a variety of strategies to assist authors at any stage of a writing project, from generating ideas to drafting, revising, and editing strategies. Writing Center resources include: textbooks; APA, MLA, and Chicago Manual of Style citation manuals; internet resources; and handouts.


Course Load
The recommended maximum course load is 20 credit hours in any semester.  Special approval is required to exceed this level and is granted only in special circumstances to students with good academic records.

Schedule Changes (add/withdraw)
1. Adding a Full Semester Course - Students may add a course via WebAdvisor or in person at Enrollment Services. Additions must be made within the first two days of the semester.

2. Adding a Less Than Full Semester Course - Students may add a course via WebAdvisor or in person at Enrollment Services. Additions must be made prior to the start of the course.

3. Dropping a course - Students may drop a course at any time prior to the census date listed in the academic calendar (usually day 10 of the semester) using WebAdvisor or by coming to Enrollment Services. Dropped courses are not recorded on a student’s transcript.

4. Withdrawing from a Full Semester Course - Students may withdraw from courses after the census date in Web Advisor or by submitting a completed Change Form to Enrollment Services prior to the withdrawal deadline. Withdrawals are recorded on the student’s transcript as a withdrawn (W) course.

After the withdraw deadline date, the student must obtain the instructor’s permission and submit a completed petition with Enrollment Services by the following deadlines:

  • For fall semester classes: by February 1 of the following spring semester
  • For spring semester classes: by July 1 of the following summer semester
  • For summer semester classes: by October 1 of the following fall semester

5. Dropping or Withdrawing from a Less-Than-Full Semester Course - Students may submit a completed Change Form to Enrollment Services to drop or withdraw from a less-than-full semester course. Withdrawals made by the deadline date set by the instructor (typically one week after the middle of the course) will be recorded as a withdrawn (W) on the student’s transcript. The student must have the instructor’s permission to withdraw from a course after the deadline date and should follow the procedures above.

Complete Withdrawals
Students wishing to drop or withdraw from all courses in a semester should submit a completed Complete Withdrawal Form to Enrollment Services. Withdrawals for full semester courses made by the withdrawal deadline date will be recorded on the student’s transcript as a withdrawn (W) course.

After the withdraw deadline date, the student must obtain the instructor’s permission and submit a completed petition with Enrollment Services by the following deadlines:

  • For fall semester classes: by February 1 of the following spring semester
  • For spring semester classes: by July 1 of the following summer semester
  • For summer semester classes: by October 1 of the following fall semester

Departmental Examination (this is not the same as “Credit by Examination” which refers to “CLEP or CEEB-AP” exams)

For department exams, adhere to the following four statements:

1.  The student will file an Intent-to-Challenge a Course form with the registrar and the appropriate Academic Dean, which identifies the specific course for which credit by examination is sought, and pay any required fee.

2.  Courses may only be challenged during a semester in which they are being taught and must be taken prior to mid-term.

3.  The student must arrange for the departmental examination with the appropriate Academic Dean.

4.  The instructor assigned to the course will report the appropriate grade for the challenge exam, S or U, to the Registrar and the appropriate Academic Dean.

Military Service Credit

Casper College uses The American Council of Education’s (ACE) publication, The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services, to determine credit for military training and experience. The National Guide to Credit Recommendations for Noncollegiate Courses, published by ACE, is used to determine credit in exceptional cases.

The college reserves the right to make an independent determination of equivalency of courses or to require departmental examinations and evaluations.

The college will grant one semester credit for physical education to students who present a Report of Discharge (DD Form 214) to the registrar establishing active duty of 181 days or more. Students who present such evidence for more than one year of active duty will be granted two semester credits.

Petition/Academic Forgiveness

Casper College policy regarding “academic forgiveness” is manifested in these practices and procedures:

1) Current semester problems. A student experiencing difficulty with any course may withdraw from the course or the college (see Schedule Changes), change from taking a course for credit to auditing a course (see Auditing Courses), or request an incomplete or in progress (see Incomplete and In Progress).

2) Academic standing. Academic standing is based on either semester grade point average or cumulative grade point average (see Academic Standing), thus allowing redemption in one semester regardless of past record and avoiding penalty for one below par semester in an otherwise satisfactory record.

3) Graduation. Upon request, some courses may be excluded from the student’s cumulative grade point average calculation used for graduation, as long as all of the graduation requirements are met (see Graduation Requirements).

4) Academic Forgiveness. A degree-seeking student currently attending Casper College may petition the registrar to remove up to two semester, in their entirety, from the calculation of the student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA) and degree credits. The registrar will approve the petition if the student has completed 24 semester hours of college level courses with a 2.5 GPA after the last semester listed on in the forgiveness petition. This is a one-time-only option.

Petition/Academic Suspension

A student who wants to return to take classes at Casper College but has been placed on academic suspension can petition the Registrar for readmission.  The petition can be obtained from the Student Services or Enrollment Services Offices and must be filled out and submitted to the Enrollment Services Office.  If granted, the student will be admitted on probation until his/her GPA is raised to meet the good academic standing requirement of 2.0.

 Petition/Late Withdrawal/Grade Change /Exception to Refund

Any extraordinary situation or request for change of college policy or procedure can request special consideration by submitting a petition to the registrar’s office in Enrollment Services.



Central Administration

Darren Divine, President

Shawn Powell, Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs

Kim Byrd, Vice President for Student Services

  • Megan Schafer, Executive Assistant for Administrative & Student Services

Lynnde Colling, Vice President for Administrative Services

Peter Van Houten, Interim Director of Public Relations

Chauncy Johnson, Director of Human Resources

Laura Driscoll, Executive Dean of Continuing Education


Deans and Academic Assistants

Educational Resources
Trevor Mahlum, Educational Resources

School of Business & Industry
Lesley Travers, Dean
Rachel Wright, Academic Assistant

School of Fine Arts & Humanities
Eric Unruh, Dean
Kathy Coe, Academic Assistant

School of Health Science
Tammy Frankland, Dean
Lupe Kerr, Academic Assistant

School of Science
Grant W. Wilson, Dean
Renee Hardy, Academic Assistant

School of Social & Behavioral Science
Brandon Kosine, Interim Dean
Crystal Sosalla, Academic Assistant


Navigate our site
Home Page Contact Us Policies Mission/Vision/Values/Goals A to Z Index Return to the previous page. CC Top 25 Home Page A to Z Index Events Search our site Find Faculty/Staff/Administration @ Casper College New Media @ Casper College